‘History is another land.’ I learned that at an early age as Errol Flynn swashed many bucklers and flew across our TV screens on a rope, dagger clenched between his teeth. Yet, somehow, teachers in school managed to drain the life from history. It became a list of dates, kings, laws, and events that had no relevance to my life and was as boring as watching paint dry. Still, I had a certain fascination for our ancestors. How different their lives were to ours! If only it were not all so tedious.
Then I discovered Jean Plaidy’s books, like ‘Light on Lucrezia’ and ‘Madonna of the Seven Hills’ about the Borgias, and her books about Henry VIII’s six wives. She brought history out of the past and made it live! I had discovered a whole new world—another country. I wanted to write those kind of stories.
While much historical fiction is about fictional people, and I am certainly not one to miss out on those tales, I wanted to know about actual people. Just who were these pirates? Murdering cutthroats or conquering heroes? Why did the people on the Mayflower decide to go to America? We’d all heard about them, but what made them do what they did? I wanted to know. And I wanted to write about them, to share their stories.
Because writing was my other passion. I’ve been writing since I learned to read, but, you know how it is, life gets in the way. When the kids finally flew the nest, I settled down to write Gentleman of Fortune quickly followed by One Small Candle. For the King—The Adventures of Roger L’Estrange, and the sequel Rebellion—Roger L’Estrange and the Kent Petition about the English Civil Wars, came next. All my stories so far are based on real events and real people.
Oh, in case you wanted to know about me, I’m English, born in London and now living with my husband in Norfolk, England. There’s not much else to say about that.
I hope you enjoy reading my books as much as I enjoy writing them.
- OVER THE SEA TO SKYE, Escape from Culloden, After his crushing defeat at the battle of Culloden, Prince Charles Edward Stuart flees to the outer Hebrides in an attempt to escape British retribution.
- REBELLION, Roger L'Estrange and the Kent Petition, an English Civil War adventure based on a true story, the second in the Roger L'Estrange adventure series.
- FOR THE KING, Roger L'Estrange and the Siege of King's Lynn, an English Civil War adventure based on a true story, the first in the Roger L'Estrange adventure series.
- ONE SMALL CANDLE, The Story of William Bradford and the Pilgrim Fathers, based on the true story of the Mayflower Pilgrims.
- GENTLEMAN OF FORTUNE, The Adventures of Bartholomew Roberts, Pirate, based on the true story of the famous 18th century pirate.